Sunday, January 17, 2021

Virtual Reality


5 years or so ago I walked Hadrian's Wall.  For me it was the cumulation of a lot of thinking and planning and much excitement.  So watching Robson Green walking it on channel 5 made me snigger - where he has walked so far is pretty much flat - fields, a bit of country lane, riverside park - if he is groaning now, wait until he gets to the terrain after Housesteads Roman fort!  I remember walking this path after a year of chest infections, ear infections and with a suitcase of asthma gear - inhalers/steroids/spacer just in case.

80% power was absolutely fine as it turned out! My only regret is at the last Roman attraction I was too mean to buy the T shirt - I dimly remember the choice of Tea shop or T shirt in the small amount of time we had and Tea shop won.  Bling is important.  If I do this again I will buy more postcards too.

In lockdown, thanks to friends who have encouraged me, I am doing anoher virtual challenge.  Currently 100 miles with Race at Your Pace in January.  Fantastic challenges, very motivational. But in February/March/April I am taking part in the Conqueror challenge.  This is another virtual event where you can choose a route - Cabot Trail/Lands End to John of Groats/Hadrians Wall etc.  It comes with an APP where you can track your progress against a map, go street view to check out the views, take part in a wonderful positive facebook community (really inspiring stories) get a totally bling medal, plant 5 real trees (apparently) and get virtual postcards (see below for my first - I know - but I was excited) AND A T SHIRT.  It's not cheap so I am doing it (90 miles) over 3 months, which evens out to a very reasonable cost for encouraging sport activity (less without the T shirt!) I will only count real going for a walk walks as wearing a cheapo fitbit equivalent all day really annoys me at work.

I am  now back to my usual dose of antidepressants and what a difference it makes to be feeling more human.  But I have learned from reading the book I mentioned yesterday that I need to rest regularly or I will crash again.  So I have a pretty steady commitment to watching such rubbish as Police Interceptors and any other TV that requires minimal brain power and isn't remotely stimulating!

James Withey in yesterday's book suggests that learning to live with depression is like learning to live with asthma - I know that very well.  I can always tell the small changes in lung happiness that mean I have caught the kind of virus that will be an absolute asthma stinker - florid snotty colds are not the most dangerous culprits.  He suggests we need to monitor our tiredness and for me that is well worth thinking about - I get more holidays in this job and they are already planned in.

I hope that sharing this might encourage anyone else who maybe has a similar kind of head - you never know - there are folks out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment