Friday, January 15, 2021

Podcast heaven

 Waking up early in Winter has few joys. Winter evenings have more but both are improved by BBC sounds podcasts!  My favourites?  "You're dead to me" - back with a new irreverant take on history.  A comedian and a historian chatting about a character from history.  What's not to chuckle at? This weeks' episode- Agrippina the younger - I dimly remembered she was one of the emperor's mums but oh what a sordid story!  Have a listen!

Open Country - last week I missed half of it but what I did hear was how beautiful lemon slugs are.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/animals/slugs-and-snails/lemon-slug/

I suppose in terms of slugs they are! This week was a gentle whimsical look at snowdrops.  Apparently the Victorians had a language of flowers, and snowdrops represent hope - so necessary for us.  They also, more prosaically used to plant them to light their way to the cottage privvy.  They are visible at night.  The things you learn on Radio 4.

I've also binge listened, if that is a phrase - to "Intrigue" on Mayday rescue - led by James Le Mesurier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Le_Mesurier

I'd never heard of him. But it's an intriguing, compelling account over a few 15 minutes episodes.  You definitely won't fall asleep.  Conspiracy theories, eye witness accounts, graphic descriptions.  All there for you!

And last but not least, recommended by someone at church - The Bible for normal people - which has the annoying and I hope - ironic tag line "The only God ordained podcast on the internet"  I wince every time.  Truly fascinating - I've listened to podcasts on "how is the Bible true" the role of archaeology, intersex & trans believers sharing stories, what the Bible says about the afterlife.  It's hosted by Peter Enns who strikes me as sensible and thoughtful.  It's good to think and reflect!

As for books, I can recommend my Autumn/Winter ?Study book - James Withey - "How to tell depression to piss off"  A wonderfully funny and really helpful book by a man with depression of the magnitude that please God I will never have.  

It's very reassuring, sensible, hilarious - if you have a sense of male humour, (I do) and has given me sensible "early warning signs" for depression.  And how to recognise the distinctive voice of the illness - because it sounds like you.

Which is a thing to bear in mind I guess, along with buying new bed linen to cheer yourself up. Well I guess it's always worth a go. I did that back in December so I had new Tesco duvet cover and sheets for Christmas Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment