Sunday, January 31, 2021

Taking time out

 Yesterday was a pig of a wet day. It started with Saturday joy but I felt as soggy and tired as a wet raincoat.  Even a takeaway coffee, consumed in the car with my nose out the window, sat watching the clouds as they drifted past the car park didn't wake me up.

Mum and Dad's shopping arrived, minus a few items - veg, bread, but, thankfully with Dad's whisky.  Loaded up, and with a pile of books to keep Dad happy I drove to Sidmouth.  And the rain seemed incessant - we stared at their wet garden as I beat them - a fairly rare thing at Scrabble.  They've had their jabs and were like excited children.

So much for virtual walking challenges!  I sneak out, early today, avoiding church, feeling like a wet raincoat again - and wearing one! Mum and Dad have no fruit - they didn't order any, no chocolate - they pined for some, and no colour in the home - I tell them the plastic flowers are wilting!  So, because I can't bear the thought of them having no fruit and because they were so wistful, I took them some and a bunch of bright, cheery tulips. Oh and biscuits and chocolate.  Dad will eat them very happily (not the tulips) and he never puts any weight on, lucky man.  I walk along the seafront, well actually get squall blown along.  It's littered with pebbles the waves have throw up over the wall.  The sea is foaming milk chocolate, really January storm rough.  The few of us braving it have hoods up and takeaway coffees in hand! Because it is biting cold.  I have a new hoodie, black with colour across it, I look like a monk with the hood up under my jacket hood. It's keeping my ears warm!

And a lazy evening reading Kate Humble (a lockdown favourite) " A year of Living Simply" Real comfort food for the soul.  I have two bunches of daffodils in my cheap and nasty vase - they look like fat yellow paintbrushes, colour laden but tightly furled up as yet.

Sitting at my kitchen table working for a living isn't my idea of fun, but I am so grateful I have a job this year, one where I am appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment