Monday, August 31, 2020

Swimming

 Aquatic being that I am swimming is something I have really missed not only during lockdown but also due to back pain.  It's a moot point if lack of swimming or lockdown itself caused the "sciatica" as I used to swim twice a week as regularly as the irritating Pyramids timetable would allow.

Everything has increased in price - understandably - as a result of extra cleansing measures and limited numbers but what a joy to be back in a pool again!  Exmouth pool used to be a favourite when I lived the other side of the city as I could hop on a train and exit right next door.  Now it's a quick drive and a lengthier walk as I am far too mean to pay for parking.  Unlike the Pyramids where I would swim along and count the submerged and floating hair and plasters - this pool is transparently clear.  The new regime of clothes in a basket, poolside ready, get in and swim and process to your numered cubicle without the unpredictable (Pyramids) shower is very reassuring.

Fewer numbers, but oh there is some pool rage!  It amuses me as the lanes are sufficiently spacious to swim abreast rather than in a head to toe line.  But people like to follow the ropes it seems.  I am happy to do the odd seal-like swerve to avoid other rebellious swimmers but it is much calmer in the middle!

This morning I was amused by the "slow lane club" whose pre swim bitching and ailment exchange irked me.  Until I tried to think a tiny bit more charitably which is hard - maybe they are just sore/anxious/fearful of strangers in "their" pool.  But it has been such a fresh, sea air morning that being grumpy seems a shame.  Pre swim I sat on the flood prevention wall and played the 5 senses game - what can you hear/touch etc.  Before opening all too easy eyes!  Fresh air flowing over wrists and ruffled hair, oystercatchers sounding off and black headed gulls screeching. The pressure of the wall on legs and backside, smooth concrete.  And I could see the lovely vista below but not through the lens - too bright and brisk a day and the reflections of sun on the water meant I was taking photos blind



No comments:

Post a Comment