Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Candle smoke

When I pray and read the bible I light a candle.  Gives me something to look at when I pretty frequently can't think what to say.  Goes along with a coffee cup to huddle over. Blame the heavy duty pain medication I have been on and a host of other tedious reasons for feeling less than charging on all cylinders in the mornings!  This morning I had a tough job snuffing the candle - it wouldn't blow out.  It made me think that my faith was sufficiently tenancious but God has definitely not given up and there is a brilliant verse about Jesus not "putting out a flickering candle wick" Somewhere in the gospels - I think in Luke - it encourages me when for whatever reason I feel a bit less than stable.

Much later after tedious job applications and the usual round of chores and petrol station I walked into town and drifted into the cathedral mainly to escape the rain and to pray.  And lit a candle for a friend with cancer.  For a preaching friend, for a stressed nursing friend.  It felt decidedly odd and a real privilege to be back walking around the place. Prayer as incense, prayer as candle smoke....


No comments:

Post a Comment