Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Lent Prayer

Every morning - except apparently for the last two weeks of Lent when it changes(!) (for reasons best known to the Anglican church, where it is apparently known as Passiontide - I have been praying the same chunk of classic prayer.  I think it is so apt that I'm sharing it below.  It's helped me - the rhythm of the words starts to get under my skin.

Jesus, like a mother you gather your people to you:
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.

Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness:
through your gentleness we find comfort in fear.

Your warmth gives life to the dead,
your touch makes sinners righteous.

Lord Jesus in your mercy heal us;
in your love and tenderness remake us.

In your compassion bring love and forgiveness;
for the beauty of heaven may your love prepare us.

Anselm (1109)

I had to look him up - he was Archbishop of Canterbury at the time.  Off to the world of banter, spreadsheets and the sounds of hammering, rivet guns, the sharp TCP stink of welded metal, the bad singing to the factory radio and endless corona beer jokes........

No comments:

Post a Comment