Monday, July 30, 2018

Summer Rain

Saturday night I drove out to see a friend for tea.  It was the most bizarre drive, wearing sunglasses against the glare, with windscreen wipers full on, dipped headlights against the lorry kicked up spray, and watching the thunder clouds build ahead as I drove through the heaviest rain we have had all summer. By the end of the evening, sitting in the car again in shorts, my feet were freezing and I had to wear a sport top with long sleeves for the first time in four months.  Now it is sweaty, muggy weather again and spit spattering rain with a dark menacing line of gray advancing over the tops of the budleia and treetops. My friend and I watched the rain from the kitchen door, fascinated and glad.  I guess it has been many summers since I have been happy to have it rain!!  Usually it thrashes down in Devon, which is why it is so beautifully green.

It's the end of July and I think nature is doing the end of summer is approaching, conserve and change thing.  Seasons don't always correspond to school holidays.  My garden begins to look tired and exhausted, despite lashings of recycled bath water (no aphids stand a chance) and semi religious dead heading to make sure the plants flower their hearts out. The plants are getting wild and straggly.   I've invested in some tins of paint and brushes as I also get the urge to batten down the hatches and make sure everything is shipshape and winter tidy in late summer and I like painting and decorating as a nice time wasting/money saving hobby!  I think it is because the days are still long and the heat dissipates in later summer sufficient to make swinging a paint roller for a few hours a day a less sticky and more appealing prospect. And I also got a 10% discount which makes me happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment