Sunday, November 14, 2021

Beginnings

 Last week I went to my first Tai Chi class. Having wanted to do something martial-arty for years.  So, as Pilates practice made my neck feel worse and the classes were expensive and at times that I coudn't make, I decided to be brave and go see for myself.

It's always difficult being the clueless newbie! Last year, that was me at work, this year it is me trying my best to follow the demonstration of our tutor, who looks like a buddhist monk - shaved head, gentle demenour (he works in a physio as a therapist)  He moves like a crane, dancing with it's wings outstretched.  Flowing and smooth.  But he's the tutor so he should be a master of his craft.

We start with an awareness/breathing exericse to loosen up and I breathe a sigh of relief and wish I'd not had to rush home from work/had so much tea.

45 minutes later I am trying to remember my left from my right - I didn't last the whole "beginners form" class, but sat and watched the last 15 minutes.  It's hard - to focus, to flow, to be gentle and precise, when all my sport has been strength based - swiming, walking, lifting a few weights, cycling in the gym. None of these prepared me for the subtle shifts and transfer of weight and what he described as "moving meditation" although, for me, swimming can feel like prayer.

I will go back again and remember that it takes 36 hours of practice at least - to master the beginner's form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment