Sunday, December 23, 2018

Buying stuff

My manager has a yearly cull of clothes.  I think if I did that I would walk around rather chilly! I treat buying clothes as the same sort of chore as buying car tyres - I know the car needs to be kept in good order so I "love" it with an MOT, service and maintenance - and the occasional proper wash which has to be better than the one I give it!  So with clothes.

I'm not always a lot better with gift buying.  I think shops are a bit overwhelming!  I would like to be thoughtful so I want to give something that will "fit"and that's a bit stressful somehow?

Back in early December, the bit I remember of the very visual advent weekend teaching, was the thought that the wise men gave their gifts but not their hearts.  I watched a programme about the "real" Noah's ark last night - nothing like a good history programme after a week at work.  And it drew on Babylonian culture and boat building.  Fascinating stuff.  I started thinking about the song "I would walk 500 miles" by the Proclaimers. Yet another sermon scrap - and song link - it was about 500 miles from Jerusalem to Babylon. I remember hearing that!

So, I  thought it would be good to be like the wise men.  They prepared for a very long, arduous journey.  Thorough. They were intelligent, searching men.  Looking into records and stars.  And then following, keenly, as envoys, to go seek out the new king they saw foretold.  And they recognised him as prophet, priest and king.  Thoughtful gifts.  They did worship him as best they could.

Thoughtful.  That is something I very much would like to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment