Saturday, August 25, 2018

Walking on the edge

I've had eight weeks of cramming new information and forming good working relationships and my head is tired.  I need a mental holiday and the best way is to dig out my rapidly failing boots and camera and take a walk.  I had fun hauling up and down the hills around Ladram Bay, reading the signs stating that "happiness is a holiday home in Devon" and that "this is a cliff edge - thank you for your consideration". That one made me laugh - consideration?  999? Rescue helicopter? It's a long way down at this point.  I agree that having a home in Devon is a happy thing and walked to Otterton for a cheese scone.  I found myself grousing on the way back as all the cars seemed to take the Devon lanes wide, making me want to yell "you are not driving a tank" although fair point, some were pretty large and the lanes are overgrown.  I've been reading a couple of books by Matthew Johnston "I had a black dog" and one lovely one of his mindful photographs.  I would so like to be a better photographer.  His beautiful simple books remind me to make sure life is less frills, more happiness, to beat the black dog with exericse, to learn to be gentle.  I find the last really really hard. I have set myself a target of doing 150 miles to get a medal with "race at your pace" but someone suggested this was too easy, so I upped it to 200.  With the reaction that I then started worrying and knew in myself that that's not good.  I ate humble pie and am doing 150 miles walk challenge in September, which, with a peak district walking holiday should be fairly straightforward for me.  I think it will be the first sporting medal I have ever achieved, although somewhere I have a certificate my good friend bought me for walking up either Snowdon or Ben Nevis and a swimming towel for the herculean effort that was a pool based, 12 week "channel swim" that my friends had to help with as my doctor banned me due to ear infections.  Challenges are great, but I am learning that they need to fit properly.




No comments:

Post a Comment