Thursday, May 27, 2021

Rhubarb cheese and tipsy tarts

 I went for tea with friends, but, finding the road blocked and diverted, I took a very long tour down "country roads".  I have a colleague whose Spotify feed locked out on the classic John Denver hit below.  He says he likes John Denver - (how times have changed - no one his age would have admitted that the first time round!) but he is useless to work out to!

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, growin' like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice in the mornin' hour, she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
Drivin' down the road, I get a feelin'
That I should've been home… 

so, after a couple of false starts, reverses, large puddles and tractors I found myself singing what I could remember of this song.  Which was not a lot really.  

I've been listening/watching the "Living in Love and Faith" video clips (this is a church of England course on the varieties of different modern relationships and how we listen to each others' viewpoints) St Marks is doing this in June so I thought I could watch the clips while washing up.  Each seems to start with your own "superpower" or what you are good at/known for.  This evening, having dropped a whole carton of extra thick double cream which landed without spill, and with the lid tI he correct way up, I reckon my super power is obvious.

Everyone at work seems to be yawning.  I know that I am also tired, as I have provoked hilarity at work and with friends, by unfiltered comments - my colleague has a young son with "growing pains" - I tell him I had those, I sympathise.  He looks at me and laughs.  You can see why.   Later, after the cream incident, I'm told; "you don't have to put the cream away" How to confuse a tired brain.  They meant, I think, you are welcome, you are a friend and a guest. Me, I just like having "fridge rights" When I go to my friend in Gloucester I always raid the fridge - and do the washing up.  I do that at my parents, only it is more like do the washing up and tidy the fridge, and at work,where it is "put on the dishwasher and throw away the mouldy food"

It's a form of love I think.  

And the title: an amazing pudding and a taster of a special cheese.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment