Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Queen is not amused

Well that's been my view of Queen Victoria, possesor of the grumpiest dour face and endless mourning clothes.  Can't say I knew much about her really - coming from Sidmouth I knew there was a connection as she stayed at what is now one of the town's hotels as a child.  But reading Lucy Worsley's biography has been a joyous eye opener of a read.  You have to love a book that starts with "The most powerful , memorable images of Victoria show her as a little old lady, potato like in appearance, dressed in everlasting black"And she follows by asking the question: "How did she go from dancing princess to potato?

What a great way to intrigue!  She documents a series of memorable "days" in Victoria's life, including the death of her father, meeting with Prince Albert, her wedding, her homes, her relationships with servants and children.  A host of familiar characters which I know only from films crop up - Abdul Karim, John Brown.  And I learned she loved her food and drink, was taller than me so how that is short I am unsure but she had tiny tiny feet! (unlike me)  Albert is evaluated from his letters to be a workaholic, controlling "emotionally abusive" husband.  I disliked him intensely! Worsley argues that although she spent her life subsequently mourning him, it was being without his influence that allowed her to use her own "emotionally intelligent" approach and to suceed as a monarch.  I have delighted in the evidence of personal quirkiness and eccentricity and it has filled out my shaky knowledge of her reign although I knew a lot more about the general "Victorian" age.  Highly recommend it as a read

No comments:

Post a Comment