Monday, May 6, 2019

Politically correct crockery

My crockery would be at home in Rockfish.  In other words, it's full of chips!  My dad calls such china "chippendale", I call it fit for the bin.  I've spent quite a lot of time listening to radio 4 lately due to aforementioned dodgy lungs, so I have had my values challenged a little bit. I don't want to just thoughtlessly buy stuff if I can source it elsewhere.  I decided that rather than buying a nice new set from Tesco, I would look for replacement cereal bowls and side plates from the charity shop.  After all, my existing set is bland white. I now have 4 nice white bowls with swirly black patterns and 4 solid "catering/nhs basic white" china side plates for a total of £2.75!  Who cares what the china looks like when the food is good?

Having said that, I tried yet again to produce home made cake for homegroup.  The mix tasted good, the product tasted good, but unfortunately when I cut into it, the whole thing collapsed into lumps.  Oh well, it is now packed into freezer boxes and I've eaten a chunk of it: chocolate courgette cake has to be the healthiest and nicest cake around - a sticky, dark not too sweet cake that even has one of your 5 a day in it. I ended up buying cake in waitrose.  Because for the price of the cake, I get 2 hours parking - which is cheaper than paying for it, and I wanted to swim before turning up at my friends' mum's house with one of the cakes. 

True family even an adopted one - my friend is cutting tree branches.  I hear her and her mum argueing and bantering before I see them! I walk through and put the kettle on, find a knife for the cake and get compared to one of the garden gnomes (red sunburn nose and sweatshirt) I feel loved! I feel no obligation to help with the tree cutting - I plead asthma as an excuse! 

I'm trying to make small, slightly more gentle politically correct changes too.  I'm reasonably horrified at the extent of use of palm oil so have reluctantly changed peanut butter to Meridian brand.  Don't even mention that I like nutella....


No comments:

Post a Comment