Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Black Humour

It gets me in trouble at work.  Regularly.  But it also keeps me sane.  I have a dry, black and decidedly cryptic sense of humour.  Some things just make me smirk.  My favourite this last couple of weeks - the unknown delegate who uploaded a picture of him and his mates at a train station with pints in their hands instead of his smoking cessation certificate.  Another who uploaded his smiley photo.  And my favourite of today - "grow your own staff nurse" !!

I haven't answered the email yet. I can't quite bring myself to do so. I have a dear friend whose wise advice, gently probing questions, generous heart and pockets and reflective honest spirituality I have so appreciated over the years.  She knits, and has a knitted family of doll like characters.  I am ashamed of my humour when I tease too much.  But it's sharpened my appreciative hunt for things like "knit your own nativity", knit your favourite star wars character" and this one - grow your own staff nurse!

What do you need to do, I wonder?  Plant a student? Put said trainee on the rack - I think the NHS does that kind of torturous pressure already according to my medical friends. I have daffodils in pots at work.  Should I try to find "staff nurse" bulbs next time? 

But it's actually serious I see:

"Care workers are being encouraged to apply for an Open University course which allows them to train to become nurses while continuing to work full-time in the health service.
Training takes four years, and there is a particular drive to expand the university’s nursing programme in rural areas where health boards struggle to attract and retain workers."

Oh well, it made me smile.  That's good 

No comments:

Post a Comment