Sunday, December 26, 2021

Angels

 It must be hard to be an angel

Wherever, whenever they show up in the Christmas story

they spend the first five minutes saying "don't be afraid"


I wonder, idly, what it must be like to be that intimidating

It's hard, at 5ft, to intimidate anyone - I struggle to get a drink in a bar:

to make my voice heard - this Christmas, my parent tells me "I'm not deaf - it's you"


The angels rock choir turns up, excited and unable to contain themselves for joy

and a tight knot of boys with sheep guarding duties gets a look in on cosmic events.

How like the God I try to worship to tell me "don't be afraid" - he knows I need to hear it

And how like God to spill over into the black darkness of our world in a way that my mind can't handle

No comments:

Post a Comment