Sunday, November 1, 2020

Living Water part 2

 Water again.  Friday, using the excuse of a parentally generous National Trust renewal, I went to Lydford Gorge. Thanks to The Sat Nav I got there! It was thrashing down with rain in that persistent, soaking, horizontal Devon pattern, the sort that actually fills me with joy, except that wearing glasses is a pain.

Funnily enough there weren't many cars there.  Just a few determined parents hauling their children out for a healthy walk in the woods.  And the woods were so beautiful.  The photos below don't do them or the water soaked waterfall justice.  What little of the walk that was open was so lovely and soul enriching.

There's something about woods that I love. I'm reading John Lewis Semple's The Wood again, as a bedtime read.  Beautiful, solid, well crafted prose, achingly well observed, so sharp you feel you are walking on the leaf litter with him, sitting at the edge of the woodland pond listening to the moorhens, walking home on the cusp of night hearing the cry of the tawny owl

And after Boris's dismal, depressing, spirit darkening maps last night I took shots of the leaves on the way to church.  The greens and browns were a mind resting option. And the reds fed my heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment