Saturday, August 17, 2019

Nomads

What to do on a wet blustery Saturday that is cheap and fills in an hour before child friendly swimming has ended?  Obvious - visit the museum! Saunter past the stuffed things and shelly remains and then decide: Art - too serious today - or - Nomads.  I really like the temporary exhibition gallery.

I chat to the museum lady and we share a cheap crack at the expense of the dragons of the National Trust and stand and stare at the beautiful, weird, wild, inventive, creative and plain odd shelters that are created by the transient communities of the world.  It seems they are basically grouped into types - cave based, sort of dome shaped, tent shaped.  A world of leaves and woven plant stalks, hand loomed camel hair coverings, felt and rammed earth. Some look like Morris men's capes, some like the wigwams of my not-at-all-politically correct childhood.  North America and Northern Russia - same sorts of shape - land bridges? Migration? - reminds me of watching the fascinating Alice Roberts TV series, "Human Journey" which I must have seen about 3 times - thank you BBC repeats!

I can tell I've got a bible soaked head - I stand in front of the lovely Berber tent and think "Oh maybe this is what Sarah and Abraham's tent looked like?" Hospitable and open, blanket colours and a portable shade in a harsh landscape.  Then look at the little lake dwellings built by a fishing community - can't remember where - who ram stakes into the sand - and build fragile looking platforms and shelters where you can see the water beneath your feet.  And think - definitely here if you are wise, you build your house on sand!!

The texts make the point that you don't need to consume to be happy.  That most of these are community builds.  And I guess that most of us try to build some kind of community as a harbour.

And then, strategically placed by the exit I run into my white lower middle/working class background prejudice.  Because the last exhibit is on Devon Travellers. And I can feel a "grrrrrr" No way to excuse prejudice.




No comments:

Post a Comment