Saturday, February 1, 2020

Two Twenty Three

Last Saturday I went on an Adventure, definitely with a capital A.  I've been busy this week and yet this time last Saturday I was on Paddington station in London, where I saw a friend from Exeter, who had been to a conference.  She thought I was paddington the bear! (she'd been looking for his famous statue) I had a bright blue jacket, she was exhausted and I'm about the right height.  The friends I was with were most amused.  We later found him but he's bronze not blue.

So my adventure was planned last year.  I met my college friend from 34 years ago and her wife one beach friendly Autumn day.  We caught up and shared, talked and ate.  So lovely after all these years and I thoroughly approved her choice of wife.  We planned to go to Two Twenty Three - an event for LGBT Christians in London - they go regularly as church has been problematic for them.  That was before the boiler broke down finally.  And conscience stricken, I asked to cancel.  But was cheerfully and extravagantly paid for - trainfare, coffee and lunch. They told me they had a God account which they spent on his behalf!  I think I talked for England that day!  The train was fast, and unlike BR coffee of yesteryear, the coffee was surprisingly excellent. We managed to navigate the underground system and surfaced near Manchester Square and spent an hour or so pottering around the Wallace collection.  Sadly the arms and armour section was closed, as it looked most impressive but there were fabulous enamelled plates, pottery and paintings. We had tea in an open courtyard space amongst pot plants with a background of buildings and glass panelled exhibition spaces.



This beautiful Methodist church felt so very welcoming.  The sense of God's presence or excitement or acceptance - call it what you will, hit me as soon as I walked in.  I can't really explain but trying to this week to someone else, I said that the best bit was the worship - not having to be anyone, relaxing and feeling very free.  I'm not sure why exactly.  It was a very safe place. I met some of the folks who were regulars and a couple of newbies like myself.  Afterwards we went for pizza and I was allowed to pay for myself - small victories. Such a gentle gathering - parents of LGBT sons and daughters, gay partners, trans women.  I've no experience of trans folk beyond a lorry driving work context - logistics is a broad base for meeting people, but for me it was very special to chat to a trans lady and discover that people are just people - of course - however they present.  And to meet other women with short fine hair, T shirts and a love for Jesus.After some of the criticism levelled at me in my last workplace, that felt especially good.

I love my church.  I can be open there. They love me too and have listened and encouraged.  But a place where Hosea 2:23" I will say to those called 'Not my people,' 'You are my people'; and they will say, 'You are my God." is literally true is both special and a shame.  I won't go back - it's too expensive but I hope that one day - like foodbank - it won't be needed.  Not because being gay should be knocked out of people or they should be unwelcome in any church but that churches will fully appreciate the gifts we bring - single or married.  People are just people.



1 comment:

  1. Love your recalling of the day x However I disagree with your comment "I won't go back" as it will be lovely to share it with you sometime in the future and God has other plans 😉😉

    ReplyDelete